This is the week I will be baking Irish Soda Bread. I’ll be making several loaves for family and friends. There are many recipes out there and I have tried several different versions, this one is our favorite.
Irish Rosie’s Irish Soda Bread
• Prep Time: 20 mins
• Total Time: 1 1/4 hr @ 350 degrees
• Serves: 16, Yield: 1 9 inch bread
• 3 1/2 cups flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 pint sour cream
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
• 3/4 cup raisins
1. Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl beat eggs and stir in sour cream.
3. Add the egg and sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon.
4. Batter will be very thick.
5. Add the raisins and caraway seeds and stir well with wooden spoon or knead in with your hands.
6. Place batter in a greased 9 inch spring form pan.
7. Dust the top with enough flour so that you can pat the batter like a bread dough evenly in the pan without it sticking to your hands.
8. With a knife make a shallow crisscross on the top.
9. Bake for 50 minutes in a preheated 350ºF oven.