We are at the age where we are planning to retire in the near future so savings are a must. I have always been one to make a dollar stretch when it comes to meal preparation being careful to use fresh and quality ingredients where I can. Sometimes when I shop at the grocery store I stumble on a sale that’s worth picking up ahead of time. Several weeks ago I found a fully cooked bone in ham shank on special for 69 cents a lb. So for less than $7 it was a great bargain, so in our freezer it went. I knew it would make a great meal one day soon and the left over ham could morph into several other dishes as well. So yesterday I took out the ham to defrost knowing this Sunday I had some plans and didn’t feel much like fussing with dinner. I searched through some easy ham recipes I had, and I decided to make this one. It was easy, no fuss and a perfect day to make dinner in the slow cooker since it has been hot and humid. No way would I be turning on the oven today.
Only one small problem, the ham I bought was 9.5 lbs and had a shank bone and wouldn’t quite fit in my slow cooker. So to resolve the problem I cut down one side of the ham and then into larger pieces. The ham now fit fine and I just arranged the ham pieces around the sides. Voilà!. With this being a fully cooked ham I was comfortable doing this being this was just cooking on low to heat through and absorb all the juices.
Slow Cooker Pineapple and Brown Sugar Ham
5-7 lb. Fully Cooked Smoked Ham (butt or shank)
French’s Yellow Mustard (I never measure it)
Light Brown sugar – about a cup
1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple – Do Not Drain
1. Put the ham in a large or oval slow cooker, put it in the slow cooker sliced side down if possible.
2. Squirt the mustard all over the ham.
3. Cover the ham with the brown sugar and lightly pat down.
4. Pour the crushed pineapple all over the ham, letting the juices fall down the sides and spreading the crushed pineapple over the brown sugar.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours. (Keep the lid on until it’s finished)
3. Carve the ham and let the slices fall into the tasty juices
4. Serve warm and enjoy with your favorite sides.