Show your loved ones how much your love them by serving a healthy meal this Valentine’s Day. For those who are budget conscious or would rather avoid the restaurant crowds this is an affordable, healthy and flavorful, meal that is easy to prepare.
Skillet Chicken with Sweet Potato & Asparagus
A delicious, healthy, and easy to make dinner and it take less than 40 minutes from start to finish and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
2 boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and ground fresh black pepper
3 garlic cloves — minced or 3 teaspoons pre-chopped jar garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (Optional)
1 medium to large sweet potato — peeled and diced
1/2-3/4 cup chicken broth (Better than Bullion works perfect for this dish) Amount of broth depends on the size of the sweet potato used.
1/2 lb Fresh Asparagus spears, cut on a diagonal in 1 and 2 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into small cubes and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, minced garlic, crushed red pepper and chicken. (Make sure the burned is not too hot as you don’t want to burn the garlic and red pepper)
- Sauté the chicken for about 8-10 minutes or until it is cooked through. When cooked set the chicken aside.
- In the same skillet, add the diced sweet potato and chicken broth.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Add asparagus pieces and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Season with remaining salt and pepper to taste more or less if desired.
After dinner dessert – Something Sweet
While this bakes in the oven you can prepare the Skillet Chicken dish on top of the stove.
For an easy after dinner dessert why not give this easy recipe a try. It is a long time favorite (since the about the 1960’s) that I learned to make years ago. Serve topped with ice cream or whipped cream. Any fruit pie filling works, apple, peach, blueberry or cherry. I have made them all.