I remember those Autumn weeknights where there was a crisp chill in the air and we would look forward to a warm hearty dinner after a long day at work or school. I would get dinner going as the kids would be doing homework at the dining room table. Later we would gather around the same table, enjoy a delicious meal and catch up on everyone’s day.
Those days haven’t changed too much, parents are are still working, kids are still doing home work and after school activities. Life is busier than ever before. I hope this recipe will give you some help on those busy days at dinnertime.
One-Pot Sausage, Peppers and Pasta
1 lb. your favorite short pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-8 sweet Italian sausages or a combination of sweet and hot is delicious!
1 red bell pepper, large, diced
1 green bell pepper, large, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, large, diced
1 small to medium onion, sliced (yellow or white)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
28 oz. can of diced tomato
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black ground pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, add a generous amount of salt, cook until not quite al dente. (You want the pasta a bit underdone as it will finish cooking when the dish is put together)
2. Strain pasta and set aside. Toss it with a small amount of olive oil to prevent sticking
3. In the same pot or large skillet if your prefer, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil and fry the sausages, working batches as needed, until well browned on all sides.
4. Remove sausages, slice into pieces (about 5 pieces per link), and set aside.
5. Sauté all of the bell peppers, onion, and garlic for about 2 minutes.
6. Add the canned tomatoes, all the spices, and the sausage slices to the pot.
7. Simmer about 10 minutes.
8. Add the pasta back to the pot and stir gently until all the ingredients are coated in the sauce. Continue to simmer until pasta is al dente.
9. Serve with grated parmesan.
10. Mangia Bene!